Addition to the portable kit..

Last spring I completed my portable kit for digimodes on HF to be used during the summer of 2016. Unfortunately I didn’t got to use the kit as much as I wanted due to family activities and work, so the kit was mostly just in standby. However, I´ve promised myself to be more active this spring and summer. This because both me and the rest of the family need to get out more. That´s why I’m about to try to plan a number of outdoor activities together with the family this spring and summer and work some QSO:s with the portable kit. 🙂

Regarding the portable kit, the small Intel Atom computer I´m using for the kit is pretty slow when using it with WSJT-X 1.7. Also, the battery is not good to last more than 10 min and one hour the most on the battery bank for the radio. This made me thinking about a replacement of some kind that´s small, light and ultra portable. By accident my partner stumbled up tablet which seemed interesting.

The tablet was an Trekstor Wintron 7.0 tablet which seem to use Windows 10 Home instead of Android. This was particularly interesting as the chance that it would be able to recognize both the signalink and the CAT-adapter was quite higher than an android or Windows 10 Mobile tablet. The specs also seemed to match what I was looking for, 1.8GHz CPU and 1GB of RAM (WSJT-X requires 1.5GHz CPU as a recommendation).  The cost was only 60 Euros why I gave it a try! I ordered one online and a few days later I got the package.

dsc_1864The same night I got the package I started to experiment with the tablet. As the OS of the tablet was Windows 10 and the limited disc space of 16GB, I was afraid that it might not be able to support any of my external USB-devices. I was wrong! I also expected the Windows version to be a “sneak” version adapted for tablet use, but it turns out it really was a full Win 10 Home that was installed. It was able to handle the signalink directly to the USB port via the USB-adapter cable that came with the tablet. Since I wanted to connect more devices to the USB-port I then tried to connect a USB-hub with the signalink, CAT-adapter and a wireless mouse. This didn’t work good at first but after som tweaking in the device manager (energy saving properties) I was able to get it to work!

I then installed WSJT-X 1.7 and tried to run it monitoring the 40m band that normally has a lot of traffic during the evenings. My intention was to try to put some stress on the tablet as the decoding is the most critical point in running the JT modes. This regarding both time and processing power. It actually decode OK and the tablet could handle the extra CPU-load during the multipass decoding without any problems at all!

dsc_1848

Monitoring the 40m band.

No need to say I was very pleased this had worked! Now it was time to give it a trial run before officially giving it a place in the portable kit! 🙂

dsc_1850-1536x864

The Wintron tablet with USB-hub and external devices connected.

I left it running, from fully charged, and managed to get about two hours of running time before the internal battery was depleted. An OK time! 🙂 I also made a couple of QSO:s on JT65 and JT9 and I’m more than satisfied with the solution! I also discovered that my protection case with integrated bluetooth keyboard for one of my older tablets also worked with the new one. This made the setup even more complete. 🙂

So now I have an updated portable kit, ready for this spring and summer adventures! 😀

73 de SM7VRZ

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s